Friday, August 28, 2009

You’ve Lived Here How Long?


I love visiting New York and it seems like whenever I go, I do some sort of sight seeing (mainly because I go with different friends each trip and they want to experience all of the NYC attractions). When I chat with my friends who live in New York and tell them about all of the places we went on the trip, I usually get, “Hmm…I’ve never been there.” I was shocked that one of my friends had never been to the top of the Empire State Building. But then I thought about how I’ve never been to a lot of the popular attractions in Chicago. I recently moved to the city, but lived in a suburb 20 minutes west of the city my entire life. There’s really no reason why I shouldn’t have never been to the John Hancock Building or to the Art Institute of Chicago (especially since I work a couple blocks away).

My goal at the beginning of the summer was to experience a lot of things Chicago has to offer that I’ve never done before (or rarely get to do) now that I live and work in the city. I compiled a list of things to do and places to see.


Museums.
I love museums, but never go. When I was a kid, I used to always go with my childhood best friend and her family to the Museum of Science and Industry and Field Museum (I believe they were members). Museums are a great place to go because you can go any time of the year and not have to worry about the weather (but should probably avoid Winter, Spring, and Summer vacations when the kiddies are out of school). You get to enjoy and learn something.

I’m not really into art, but would like to go to the Art Institute of Chicago. One, it’s a couple blocks from where I work. Two, I’ve been to a few art museums in Rome and it would be nice to experience one in the states as well. Three (and probably my main reason for wanting to go), is because I am reading The Time Traveler’s Wife, which takes place in Chicago and the Art Institute is referenced throughout the book.


Lincoln Park
Zoo.
I love the zoo! I’ve been to the Lincoln Park Zoo before, but can go over and over again (as long as you keep me away from the reptile house)! It’s free and a bus ride away (I really don’t take the bus, but do know how to take the 151 which I can pick up right by my apartment and drops me off right in front of the zoo).

Millennium and Grant Parks.
There are always fun and exciting things going on there (music festivals, dance classes, movies, etc.) and just peaceful in general. My goal the past few winters is to go ice skating, but it’s never happened. This is the year I will make it happen!! I also love Buckingham Fountain. Not to mention they’re both right by my work.

Navy Pier.
I’ve been to Navy Pier on countless occasions, but still enjoy going (although I could go without riding the Ferris Wheel again).

The Beach.
I’ve been to the beach once this summer. Granted, we haven’t had the greatest summer weather-wise, but there were a lot of hot days I should have taken advantage of the beach! It’s practically fall weather already (although I’m sure it will be 100 degrees in a week since that’s how Chicago works), but I’m a fan of the beach at night. Bringing a blanket and relaxing in comfy sweats when it’s cool out is so peaceful.

Cubs Game.
I haven’t been to a Cubs game since I was about 5. Now, I live 4 blocks away from the field. I really have no excuse. This may have to wait til next season since I haven’t made it to a game yet, and we all know what the Cubs’ name stands for: Completely Useless by September...

2 comments:

  1. Let's go one on Thursday night to the Art Institute..It's free from 4pm-8pm on Thursdays I believe!

    I haven't been there yet this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully I can say I've been to the top of the Empire State Building, and Statue of Liberty being that I'm from NY. I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art though.

    ReplyDelete