Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side

A friend of mine recently passed away. He was only a year older than me and I’ve been thinking about how fast time goes and to try and appreciate life. I’ve been thinking about how a majority of people always think about the future opposed to living life in the now. It also made me think about how we’re never satisfied with what we have until it’s gone.

College vs. the “Real World”

I was walking to work and there is a university located downtown. I saw a bunch of “kids” walking with their DePaul University book store bags and I began to think how much I miss college! The whole time I was in college, I kept thinking how I couldn’t wait to graduate and only have to work full-time. I even attempted taking 3 summer classes one year that way I could try graduating early. I had a part-time job from the time I was 14 years old and all throughout high school and college. I always thought having a full-time job would be so much easier than having a part-time job, school full-time, and homework. Little did I know that was the life!!!

The beauty of college is you can have breaks in between classes and take naps! Going out and boozing it up with friends an average of 4 nights a week wasn’t a problem because even if I had an 8:30 am class, I could still go home and nap for a couple hours (or sometimes 4…) before my next class. Unfortunately, I do not live in Europe and get siestas, so it’s impossible for me to hang like I used to!

Needless to say, I would trade lives with a college freshman in a heartbeat!! Working full-time, living on your own, and being a “grown up” are not all it’s cracked up to be!!

Single Life vs. Being Committed

Why is it that when we’re single we want a boyfriend/girlfriend, but when we’re in a committed relationship, we want the freedom of the single life?

I’ve always considered myself a “relationship person.” I had two serious relationships in college and was happy. But then at some point I freaked out and needed to be single. In my second serious relationship, marriage was in the talks. I wanted it more than anything until I freaked out and broke the poor guy’s heart. This was 2 years ago. Since then, I have gone on countless dates or “hung out” with guys, but have yet to be in any sort of an actual relationship. And I’ve never been more ready to be in a relationship now. My fear is once I’m in one I’ll wish I was single again!

Appreciate what You have and Live in the Now

Something I would like to try and work on is appreciating what I have. I would also like to experience life and stop worrying about the future. I’m a planner, but planning can only go so far. Why plan for the future when you may not have it?

Learn from yesterday. Live for today. Hope for tomorrow. –Albert Einstein

1 comment:

  1. Well, for the longest time I wanted to go back to the dorms. Who wouldn't want to be around people all the time and you never knew who was going to walk by and what type of conversation would be started. I loved being so close to friends, just a matter of 100-200 steps away!

    I too, live in the future. I can never enjoy the moment, which is a bad thing. As soon as I get a job, I'm looking for something "better" even though I have two damn good gigs right now. I need to slow down and enjoy.

    Sounds like a good dinner conversation, I still owe you a NICE dinner!!!!

    ReplyDelete