Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I should be a martyr...

Well, not really. But do you ever see people on the street, public transportation, etc. and just look at them and feel bad for them? By living in the city and working downtown, I see a lot of homeless people and crazies on a regular basis. My heart goes out for them. My heart also melts for the elderly. I wonder if they have family and friends and hoping they're not alone in life. Wishing I could start a business that drove the edlerly around for free so they didn't have to walk everywhere and take public transportation.

But my heart also goes out for the people who look like a hot mess. I'm not saying I'm some fashionista or the next Miss America, but I definitely don't look like some people out there! What made me think of this is the poor 20 something year old I saw at the el stop this morning (Chicago's equivalent of the subway). The poor guy looked like he had makeup on from the night before and didn't wash it off (but he didn't) and his facial features just seemed smooshed together. Now, I feel bad for him. There wasn't much hope for him, except maybe if he waxed his unibrow.

Do you ever see people and wish you could pretend your Stacy London and Clinton Kelly (from What Not to Wear) and tell people they look like a hot mess and give them suggestions how to improve their look? Well, I do. Especially when I'm bored on the el. It's amazing what people wear.

For example, I was on the el and could not take my eyes off a woman's outfit a few months ago. She had a lilac trench coat, with silk pants (that looked like pajama pants) with orange flowers, and brown shoes. I wondered if that woman owned a mirror and what compelled her to wear such a thing. If you don't believe me, see for yourself!


My point is, I wish I could go up to people and tell them how they can improve themselves...well, without getting chased after or beat up...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you should be a martyr! I go out to eat often with people and my heart breaks for those at restaurants who eat by themselves, particularly older people. I saw it Wednesday night at Applebee's at the table across from me.

    St. Christina--Patron saint of fashion :)

    ReplyDelete