Friday, September 18, 2009

It's Amazing How Time Changes Things...

Over the past 2 weeks, I have seen 2 exes. The encounter with Ex #2 was no where near as awkward as it was with Ex #1.

Ex #1. My ex and I were extremely close throughout our relationship. We had gotten serious fast (which I truly believe is one of the reasons that caused us to break up) and he became one of my best friends. Nothing was ever awkward between us (we even laughed at the time he accidentally drooled in my mouth while making out). We told each other anything and everything. It really was an amazing relationship and I'm grateful to have had him in my life. However, when I saw him a couple weeks ago, it was by far one of the most awkward experiences. I was working at a town function in my hometown and he came up to the stand I was working with to talk to my 2 best friends. Mind you, he met them through me. And then turns to me and says, "Hi, how are you?" I wish I could have recorded this. Obviously, "Hi, how are you," is a wonderful starting point for a conversation and very polite. However, it was the way he said it and the face he made. I felt like I was someone he really didn't like or was a complete stranger to him. He carried on a conversation with my best friend for a bit and was himself. Yes, I know, we broke up, I shouldn't expect him to be jumping for joy to see me or be overly friendly. But after we broke up, we remained on good terms for several months and several months ago had a long conversation catching up. Everything was fine. So it just made me wonder what the awkwardness was for.

Ex #2. This guy was never per say my boyfriend, but we were seeing each other. He moved to Chicago for work, but had been traveling for work (spending several months in different states to work at the company's different locations). We would see each other frequently when he was back in town for Chicago. We had an amazing time together. We both enjoy eating, so we often tried new restaurants together and were able to just veg out and enjoy each other's company. We sort of drifted apart and stopped talking. We reconnected via Facebook a couple months ago and began talking again because he was going to be back in Chicago this past week. We hung out one night while he was here and it just wasn't the same. We talked and caught up, but that obviously didn't take a long time to do. He barely even tried to kiss me! Granted, I have had a cold and cough, but still!

Between these 2 experiences, it has really made me think how things change over time. We mature and learn from things that happen. Who knew someone you were 100% comfortable with would end up being someone you feel completely awkward around? If someone would have told me I wasn't going to end up with Ex #1 and we wouldn't even be able to have a conversation, I wouldn't have believed them. But shit happens and people change...

No comments:

Post a Comment